Friday, September 30, 2022

A Poem a Day, Week 39, Sept 24 to 30, 2022

 A Poem a Day, Week 39, Sept 24 to 30, 2022

Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022. I am your host, and poet, Emily Gibson. The poems for the 39th week of the year, September 24 to 30, found their origins in the onset of fall, poetry prompts, interesting words, and a bike ride on the Tualatin Scenic Bikeway.  

I would be remis if I didn't explain for those new to this podcast that these are 1 or 2 day poems, which have not gone through the grist of revision. That comes later, something I truly look forward to doing. For now, they are new, not quite steady or solid, but each has something to say, so I share them, uncensored. It is part of my challenge.

As always, you can keep track of Sifting the Rubble's posts on the Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram platforms:

Facebook (daily posts) : https://www.facebook.com/BlueheronELG
Twitter https://twitter.com/SiftingThe
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sifting_the_rubble/

Please like and follow and share in whichever ways suit you. Thank you! :)

And now, for this week's poems!




Poem #267, Red Bug Odds  

by Emily Gibson, Sept 24, 2022


What are the odds that two

red-backed bugs with wavy feelers

and black legs that ended in flat bug feet--

like yellow legs from the

Cootie game (™ Schaper 1976)--

would choose nearly the same minute

to walk across the same picnic table 

at the same rest stop

along the Banks-Vernonia

Rail Trail in Oregon?

Nearly the same odds that I

would choose that same morning

to cycle that same trail

and stop at the exact table

where two red bugs walked.

Glad I am at those odds.



About "Red Bug Odds":   This poem captures a moment when I was glad for my naturalist's eye.  These two bugs were of completely different species, both red but one shiny and the other muted, one easily 3 times the size of the other.  They were walking on opposite sides of the picnic table. Just a moment of perfect timing.  I look forward to revising this poem.


Poem #268, A Course of Horse 

by Emily Gibson, Sept 25, 2022


The horse I pulled handfuls of grass for just to hear her nicker

The horse I visited three times a day for my survival

The horse I raced bareback on the beach

The horse who jumped me over a dead sea lion

The horse black as just poured tar

The horse who’s greatest gift was not softening

The horse who stayed until he could not stand

The horse I helped as it suffered until its owner could let go

The horse I rediscovered my confidence with

The horse I said no to 

The horse who blocked everyone out, but me

The horse who froze at sight of a log that looked like a bear

The horse who mirrored my feelings until I understood

The horse who left too soon and left regret in its place

The horse I tried too hard with

The horse that I didn’t try hard enough to know

The horse I brushed but never rode

The horse I loved

The horse that hated alfalfa

The horse who bucked me off 4 times in one day

The horse who left me on the trail after a 180 turn

The horse I gentled who changed me

The horse I took to four states

The horse I buried in the 3rd state

The horse with a spirit out of reach, buried in unkindness

The horse I spent 30 years with in Humboldt County

The horse I spent 3 hours with on a beach in Mexico

The horse that looked on in amusement as I I hauled hay up a hill on a hand-built sled

The horse I built five fences for

The horse with perfect, hardy hooves I learned to trim on

The horse who needed the most absurdly expensive farrier just to walk

The horse who still fertilizes a garden, from underneath, now

The horse I wish I’d done better for

The horse I learned to ride on

The horse I introduced a saddle to

The horse who was putty in a veterinarian’s hands

The horse who grew two feet and snorted at sight of  the vet’s truck

The horse I can still smell, and the one I can still feel

A herd of fifty years of horses thunder through my memory.

Thanks to a girl with glasses who moved to my town in 5th grade.

The new kid outcast and me, the misfit poor kid mixed a friendship

Of untouchable magic woven amid our last years of childhood

with her six horses and ponies in that small seaside town.




About "A Course of Horse": Inspired by a blog about list poems, which mentioned Raymond Carver's "The Car." Essentially, take something that matters a lot to you, and make a list until you see the poem emerge. I enjoyed reflecting on my life-long love of horses, and their constant presence in my life. It really started with a friend in elementary school and her herd of horses and ponies. The photo is one my brother took of us riding two ponies, Fanci and Sunny. Here is the blog post about list poems for anyone interested in Raymond Carver's poem, or list poems in general: List Poems - Institute for Writers   


Poem #269, Pool Party

by Emily Gibson, Sept 26, 2022


I remember our porch pit stop on flight paths of birds,

like Hobbits with first breakfasts and before lunch snacks,

to eat like a bird is to eat like a horse:

all day, every opportunity, anything in sight.

Our bird feeders of seed, nectar, suet,

lumps of peanut butter or margarine in lean times,

decorated the porch railings high and low

giving our front window a feathered picture show.

A water stop wasn’t necessary

in our lush Redwood forest of home.


I learned their names and calls, can remember them all:

Blue-jays, juncos, hummingbirds, wild pigeons and doves,

pileated woodpeckers, robins, yellow-bellied sap suckers, 

even occasional hawks on the hunt.

Most memorable were the chickadee chicks

who grew up on our porch, their proud parents

paraded wide, yellow-mouthed babes

fluffed to twice adult size as they cried “feed me”

in chickadee chirps. Two hatchings each season.


I left home, and save a hummingbird feeder in Idaho,

never fed wild birds again.  Cost and responsibility

the prohibitive elements.  How our mom afforded

bird seed and suet in the Seventies, on Welfare

remains a mystery.  Probably cheaper than 

cable TV and video games and birds

never broke or led to boredom.


This summer, front and back lawns sport

pit stops for parched high desert birds

in the heat and smoke of our summer.

Their world full of seeds and bugs and worms,

no need to feed them.   Not Hobbits, this region’s

birds, but camels, with liquid blue maps of their world. 

Just two trays, filled every day, but bird word

spread as fast as a tweet on twitter, ‘til from our blinded 

windows we see them cycle in, as if on timers.


The bird convoy has changed a bit,

still blue jays, flickers, robins, and wild doves,

plus a steady stream of drab-colored, small 

seed and bug eaters with names yet a mystery to me, 

but at least five species that I can see.

Most enjoyable is a rowdy brood of anonymous 

flycatchers who descend to our water hole 

and turn it to a lawn pool party

for daily baths and beverages.

A marauding horde of nearly ten that 

absorbs water like feathered sponges.



About "Pool Party": What began as water stations during the fires that raged around central Oregon this summer has continued as a delightful wildlife viewing opportunity. I had no idea there were so very many birds around our house, nor that they would enjoy a water stop so much. The family of brown birds described makes a daily visit to drink and bathe, and when all ten are in the tub, it looks like a pool party, hence the poem's title.



Poem #270  Slow Drip 

by Emily Gibson, Sept 27, 2022


Your slow drip of resentment--

unconscious,

like an IV of 

anger--

creeped insidiously 

across the floor

of my childhood,

the way an innocuous

amount of water can spread

miles

before you even notice

the tipped glass.

Like an infant spittlebug

I cocooned in the froth of your 

rage--legitimate though

misdirected to innocents.

It infused my cells.

I could not escape

my inheritance of

judgment,

until illness

showed me how.


About "Slow Drip":   I think we all are survivors in some way. There were many good and happy moments in my childhood, many which I have written about and will continue to write about. As part of my healing with MS, I have needed to look clear-eyed at it all, so I could let go what I no longer needed. This poem is not directed at any specific individual, it is more an expression of how children soak up what they are steeped in, and how it can take them a lifetime to figure that out and disinherit what they no longer want.



Poem #271, Mountain Shore  

by Emily Gibson, Sept 28, 2022


A mountain line

below a smoke free sky

became a shoreline.

Westerly winds brought 

the first line of fire’s discharge

like gray cotton candy 

or quilt batting

stretched thin.

Land lifted it up 

memory’s eyes saw a mirage,

a fog bank risen from the sea.

Mountains turned dark in layers

like magnets might attract 

the iron of smoke,

until the ash of burnt catches up,

the point tips, 

the sky turns brown.


About "Mountain Shore": After a week without smoke in our skies, the wind slowly brought it back. First with wispy bits of fog that gathered into eventual brown, smoke-stained skies. I wanted to capture this moment, and the double-take my brain did, thinking it was a fog bank.



Poem #272, Warmth 

by Emily Gibson, Sept 29, 2022


Fall is here, in this photo,

in my brother’s rust overalls, 

our Mom’s flaming hair and 

buttoned scarlet velvet shirt,

our dog’ Mouse’s leather collar

and gray coat of curly fur,

the warmth of my teal sweater’s wool,

a thick redwood trunk behind us.

Close, warm, we all 

look to the camera

while Mouse looks at us.
















About "Warmth": This poem goes with one of my favorite early childhood photos, from the year (1969), when we moved to the little house in the redwoods. It symbolizes fall for me and the incredible memories of that season in our redwood grove. This day and time of year is also always a reminder of when our mom died. So I wanted to write a poem for her, today.


Poem #273, Pine Needles  

by Emily Gibson, Sept 30, 2022


Toasted brown, like

kiln-baked ceramic strands,

these bundles of three 

crunch under my tread

as uncooked spaghetti noodles

or ramen before liquid might.

Discarded, tree’s purpose served,

ready for their next lives

as woven baskets

garden compost

whisk brooms

rodent nests…

One being’s discards,

wanted.



About "Pine Needles":  I wrote this poem after walking on a sidewalk covered with them. This was my attempt to capture the sound and feeling of them crunching underfoot, and my musings on nature's waste products that go on to new purpose.


And that concludes Sifting the Rubble's poetry for this week! I hope you enjoyed this collection of poems. Perhaps some of them spoke to you, or maybe you found one begging to be shared with someone else. If so, I hope you will pass it on! Either way, thank you for listening and reading. Hope to see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem a Day Week 52, Dec 24-30

   Poem a Day, Week 52, Dec 24 to 30, 2022 Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022. ...