Saturday, September 3, 2022

A Poem a Day, Week 35, Aug 27-Sept 2



A Poem a Day, Week 35, August 27 to September 2, 2022

Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022. I am your host, and poet, Emily Gibson. Almost all of the poems for the 35th week of the year,  August 27 to September 2, came from driving across Oregon, with my return from Santa Barbara and multiple trips from Bend to Salem for labs.  In addition, a couple poems explore subjects of personal growth--my own and that of my grandfather. 

I would like to remind listeners and readers that these are 1 or 2 day poems.  This means they have not gone through the grist of revision. That comes later, something I truly look forward to doing. For now, they are freshly hatched, still a little unsteady on their feet. Yet each has something to say, so I share them, uncensored, as part of my challenge.

As always, you can keep track of Sifting the Rubble's posts on the Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram platforms:

Facebook (daily posts) : https://www.facebook.com/BlueheronELG
Twitter https://twitter.com/SiftingThe
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sifting_the_rubble/

Please like and follow and share in whichever ways suit you. Thank you! :)

And now, for this week's poems!



Poem #239, Shipwrecks 

by Emily Gibson, Aug 27, 2022


I held on, too tight, to what I thought I 

wanted, needed, used, would use, until it 

all washed away in a shipwreck.  I mourned

the loss, tried to regroup, rebuild. Then I 

understood: what mattered was inside me. 

So I held on, too tight, to what I thought 

I was, would be, could be, but it drifted

away like sand strands between clenched fingers 

of a fist at low tide.  A new shipwreck.  

All gone again.  Tentatively, I held 

my arms open, my mind open, to see 

what would settle out from the waves. I learned 

the moment is what I could use, what I 

could be.  And the next moment, and the next.  

Like a surprise behind a door.  Be the 

door, be open, let it come true through you.  


About "Shipwrecks": A Daily Stoic meditation this week on the value of losing everything, in order to learn what really mattered, reminded me of my sifting of the rubble of my life post diagnosis. I used unrhymed lines of 10 syllables each while exploring this idea.

Poem #240, Effervescent Trees

by Emily Gibson, Aug 28, 2022


Effervescent trees

bubble in the wind,

flip-flop their

two-toned leaves

in the slightest breeze,

as they tip-toe

on the banks

of streams that chuckle

over rough lava tubes

impossible to smooth.






Stock photo of Aspen.















About "Effervescent Trees": On my drive back from Mt Shasta at the end of the Santa Barbara trip last week, I was startled by these young aspen trees along the road, showing every bit of breeze with their waffling leaves. While I drove, I thought this poem out, and actually found a place to pull over so I could jot the lines down lest I forget.


Poem #241, Raptor Uplift 

by Emily Gibson, Aug 29, 2022


The sight of your wings, 

open on the wind, 

as you draft the world’s spin, 

turns my mouth

into a grin.

Your spiral scree, 

reaches my ear

and my spirit uplifts

with you.





Two Bald Eagles above a ranch west of Redmond.






About "Raptor Uplift": Every time I see a raptor, in flight or atop a tree or other object of height, I smile and my spirit lifts. For several weeks, this poem had been running through my mind, and I finally captured it. I was pleasantly surprised by the accidental rhymes that popped out as I wrote!


Poem #242, A Lumberjack’s Joke 

by Emily Gibson, Aug 30, 2022


Mysterious tree,

just one, in the swath of clearcut.

Why this one left? Alone?

The hillside expanse, 

like a tiger’s loin,

looks moth-eaten,

with tufts of former forest.

So-called wildlife refuges

or owl nesting sites,

I guess.

But one tree?

Seems like a lumberjack’s

practical joke.





Clearcut ridgeline, as seen from Detroit Dam, west of Detroit, OR.





About "A Lumberjack's Joke": On one of my drives to Salem to get labs drawn, I saw this lone tree on a clear-cut ridgeline but wasn't able to get a photo. On my second drive to Salem, I made a point of scouting out a good place on my drive west, so I could stop on my return to Bend which resulted in the photo above. This tree, all alone, remains a mystery to me.


Poem #243, Porcupine Ridge

by Emily Gibson, Aug 31, 2022


As the silver of weathered burnt trunks

fills in from the ground up

with the green of new trees

eager to ascend

to soak up the sun,

the buzz-cut mountain

transforms

to a porcupine quill ridge.  






Hillside near Detroit, OR.








About "Porcupine Ridge": This poem also came from my multiple trips to Salem this week. I wrote about these same hills in earlier poems and alluded to one of those poems with the line "the buzz cut mountain" here. Looking at this poem now, I realize that the entire poem is only one sentence!


Poem #244, An Artist Emerged

by Emily Gibson, Sept 1, 2022


Your artistry of hand-crafted home construction 

limited your hands and eyes that craved more beyond


measure, cut, hammer, and drill. Dressed in khakis, orange 

polo shirts, sturdy tan leather shoes and a green 


puffy coat before they were popular. Reading 

glasses ever almost lost. Worn silver lighter, 


I can still hear the click. Knuckles lined with dings and 

scrapes from ignored wounds. Child of depression era 


parents, everyone counted on you to do the 

right thing, step up, take care of it. Nothing about 


you reeked creative, emotional expression. 

Hollywood movie star looks with granite coolness, 


our family Frank Sinatra complete with clinking 

ice in whisky at night. What a surprise when you 


became, emerged from your rigid cocoon for a 

brief moment to paint an abundance of massive 


watercolors. Like the dust a butterfly’s wings 

leave behind when touched, your left legacy shimmers.






"Two Tailed Swallowtail" by Frank Hendricks, circa 1980s.






About "An Artist Emerged": This poem is for my mom's father, my Grandpa Hendricks. In this poem of couplets with 12 syllable lines, I sought to explore his evolution as a human post retirement and to capture my recollections of him from my childhood. This painting of a swallowtail hangs in my house.


Poem #245, The Best on Display

by Emily Gibson, Sept 2, 2022


At the end of her shift, she still greeted customers with a joy

of arm gestures, a celebration of some triumph, tiny.

A clerk in a drug store who treated each customer like 

an audition for a game show contest.


The station packed with tourists, he came up, silent, 

took my credit card as I attempted a diesel fill up.

I mentioned the sign read “diesel customers, self-serve only.”

He smiled a single-toothed smile, said, “I got it.”   


In the lab tech’s chair for a blood draw, he introduced himself.

Greg narrated every step of the process and made small talk

on the fires and smoke and heat, until 4 vials lay on the tray 

and a Band-Aid covered the hole in my skin.


One day, three people,

humans at their best with jobs

they could be mediocre in.

Why not?


About "The Best on Display": This is the third poem that came from my drives to Salem this week. All three of these people I interacted with on one day. All three stood out with their investments in doing their jobs the best that could be done. They reminded me that attitude is a choice.


And that concludes Sifting the Rubble's poetry for this week! I hope you enjoyed this collection of poems. Perhaps some of them spoke to you, or maybe you found one begging to be shared with someone else. If so, I hope you will pass it on! Either way, thank you for listening and reading. Hope to see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem a Day Week 52, Dec 24-30

   Poem a Day, Week 52, Dec 24 to 30, 2022 Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022. ...