Saturday, July 30, 2022

A Poem a Day, Week 30, July 23-29

A Poem a Day, Week 30, July 23 to July 29, 2022

Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022. I am your host, and poet, Emily Gibson. The poems for the 30th week of the year, July 23 to 29, started with quotes, family photographs, and moments on my bicycle, and evolved from there.  

I will mention that these are 1 or 2 day poems, which have not gone through the grist of revision.  That comes later, something I truly look forward to doing.  For now, they are freshly hatched, still a little wet around the ears, maybe somewhat awkward at times.  Yet each has something to say, so I share them, uncensored, as part of my challenge.

As always, you can keep track of Sifting the Rubble's posts on the Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram platforms:

Facebook (daily posts) : https://www.facebook.com/BlueheronELG
Twitter https://twitter.com/SiftingThe
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sifting_the_rubble/


Please like and follow and share in whichever ways suit you. Thank you! :)

And now, for this week's poems!



Poem #204, Shadow Slalom 

by Emily Gibson, July 23, 2022


"Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.”  --Walt Whitman


I pedal a road--

its tiny grains of rock,

my tires ignore.

Sun sinks to my left.

Each bit of gravel 

casts a shadow to the right.

This smooth road

now presents obstacles

to swerve with delight.


About "Shadow Slalom": This poem captures a brief moment on a bike ride, nearing sunset, when the change of light turned tiny bits of gravel into significant visual obstacles.




Poem #205, Secret Messages

by Emily Gibson, July 24, 2022


If you could tell yourself a secret

how would you do the telling?

Maybe a message in white pebbles

on a gray rock shore;

Or clouds arranged just so

in a windless sky.

A chorus of birds 

with chirps like morse code;

Or a paragraph of mushrooms

after a long-awaited storm.

A subtle arrangement of tea leaves

strewn across the sink;

Or staggered lightning lines

straggling words across the dark.

I think my secret message 

to myself might be one word

on hot pavement

in wet dog prints

before they vanished:

LOOK.


About "Secret Messages": This poem came from a poetry prompt to consider what you would tell yourself, if you could send yourself a secret message.



Poem #206, Funnels or Pyramids

by Emily Gibson, July 25, 2022


We sit at the bottom

of funnels,

condensed from those before

whether we knew them or not--

it’s all stored in our DNA,

memories in bones and sinew,

neurons and fingernails.

It is a mighty weight,

a responsibility 

to deserve our chance

at life.


Yet we also sit at the apex of pyramids

descending below us

through time, 

to those who come after,

who may or may not know us.

We deposit in the DNA

lessons for life, 

next steps, wisdom.

It is a mighty weight, 

a responsibility

to pack tools and insights

useful for

lives we won't

live.


About "Funnels or Pyramids": In this poem I explore the conundrum of simultaneously being the condensation of all who have gone before, as well as the precursor for all that will come. I can see my parents, grandparents, and great grandparents in me, and feel their lessons in my DNA. Both the ones they wished to pass on and ones they might not realize tagged along.



Poem #207, Blanket of Silence 

by Emily Gibson, July 26, 2022


A place so quiet, so still,

silence becomes sound.

Everything you do

disturbs the hush:

a breath, a head turn,

a mindless shift of a foot.

A normal place

hides that personal soundtrack.

Like an oppressive heat,

a place of silence has gravity.

It tethers you to earth,

and begs you to break free.




Emily (me) at a rest stop on a quiet road west of Bend.







About "Blanket of Silence": On the day captured in this photo, I sat to eat a snack and absorb water before pedaling into the oppressive heat of the day. A training ride for my upcoming Bike MS weekend. There were no cars on the road, not a single man-made sound to be heard. No birds, no wind. Just silence. Similar to being underwater, in a way.



Poem #208, As They Are 

by Emily Gibson, July 27, 2022


“We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.”— Rabbi Shemuel ben Nachmani, as quoted in the Talmud


Check our confidence at the door.

That blue is our blue

not a universal blue.

That gnarled bark is our bark,

that too-spicy sauce is our “too.”

Assume not that our reality

bears resemblance to others’.

To change ourselves

is to change what we see.

To understand another,

borrow their lens.


About "As They Are": The quote above inspired this poem about understanding how our perspective is just that, our perspective. There is no universal perspective. We must try to understand others if we are going to come together to heal. That requires seeing through others' eyes, I believe.




Poem #209, Sturdy 

by Emily Gibson, July 28, 2022


Middle of a long line,

Sturdy,

Stretching back, 

Layers of lives,

Salt of the earth families,

Peppered with sorrow and grief,

Dealt tough hands.

Together, heads down,

Keep on,  

Do what needs to be done.

Above all, provide, 

Whatever it takes.


You, 

Sandts,

Comings,

Gibsons.

You, 

Sturdy, 

Farm stock,

Labor’s lads and lasses.

When you farm

You work.

All you know?

Work.

All your children know?

Work.


Until you two 

Planted study feet

A new direction,

Gifted choice

to children 

and grandchildren:

“Be what you long to be

just don’t be afraid

to work hard.”

Sturdy.





My Grandpa Joseph Gibson and Grandma Ruth Comings Sandt-Gibson, circa 1950, Coventry, NY. With my dad and his brothers Rob and Charlie, but not 100% sure. There were 3 Sandt sons and 3 Gibson sons.








About "Sturdy": My dad sent some photos of his father in response to questions my brother and I were asking. When I saw this photo, which my dad had titled "Grapes of Wrath" it became this poem. What it took for them to keep going as life slung its arrows at them continues to inspire me in my life's arrows.




Poem #210, Strong Jaws 

by Emily Gibson, July 29, 2022


Young brawn,

strong jaw

sturdy bone

lean muscles

built to toil 

with the soil.

The men, the horses,

neither knew what 

horror lay ahead,

nor that nearly none

would return.

Bright faces forward,

yoked in unison.















Victoria Horse Brigade, pre WWI, Canada.  My grandpa Joseph Gibson, 2nd from right.


About "Strong Jaws": Another photo from the collection my dad sent, this one surprised me because I did not know my grandfather was a horse person. I have loved horses all my life. I was struck by how similar the men and horses were, in their strength and their naïveté. This photo was heartbreaking, because I knew that, unlike my grandfather, few of those young men or horses made it back from WWI.



And that concludes Sifting the Rubble's poetry for this week! I hope you enjoyed this collection of poems. Perhaps some of them spoke to you, or maybe you found one begging to be shared with someone else. If so, I hope you will pass it on! Either way, thank you for listening and reading. Hope to see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem a Day Week 52, Dec 24-30

   Poem a Day, Week 52, Dec 24 to 30, 2022 Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022. ...