Saturday, July 9, 2022

A Poem a Day, Week 27, July 2 to July 8, 2022

 A Poem a Day, Week 27, July 2 to July 8, 2022


Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022. I am your host, and poet, Emily Gibson. 
As I navigate this healing journey, as I sift the rubble of my once-life to figure out what I will do next, I find myself relishing each day's poem, as I often do not know what will come from my pen! The poems for the 27th week of the year, July 2 to July 8, find their origins primarily from introspection on nature, nurture, and celebrations.    

It is worth mentioning that these are 1 or 2 day poems, which have not gone through the grist of word smithing and review.  That comes later, something I truly look forward to doing.  For now, they are freshly hatched, still a little wet around the ears, maybe begging for a revision.   But that is the purpose for this challenge, to be a writer, every day, without censor.  

As always, you can keep track of Sifting the Rubble's posts on the Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram platforms:

Facebook (daily posts) : https://www.facebook.com/BlueheronELG
Twitter https://twitter.com/SiftingThe
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sifting_the_rubble/


I hope you will like and follow and share in whichever ways suit you. I do thank you! :)

And now, for this week's poems!



Poem #183, Long Like Kite Strings

by Emily Gibson, July 2, 2022



Your 77 years

measures long

like kite strings

or a drive on 101 from 

north to south,
tip to stern.

But maybe not long enough

for you to see and do

all you wanted just yet.

Keeper of memories 

of brothers six,

and giver of memories
to children four.
May you make,
for yourself,
memories more.



About "Long Like Kite Strings": I wrote this poem to commemorate my father's 77th birthday. He sent me a wonderful selfie. Comparing this photo to one of his much younger self, on a porch in upstate New York, sitting (on right) with his brother, Phil (on left), led me to these words.


Poem #184,  Skip-Jump-Step

by Emily Gibson, July 3, 2022


















I used to walk 

behind

and do this skip-jump-step

to try and keep up.

My 7-year-old legs

were no match.

I wonder if you

did the same

to your father’s

long-legged stride

before you grew

to be my dad. 


About "Skip-Step-Jump": I often think about walking with my dad, and trying to keep up with his long, easy stride. When I saw this photo of him (in center) with his brother, Rob, and their father, it got me thinking what it might have been like for him.



Poem #185, Sparklers

by Emily Gibson, July 4, 2022


Simple fizz of sparks

tinted hands red or green,

silver or blue.

A box of multicolored

sticks, treasured.

Traced letters on the sky

or flashed like a meteor.

Ground lit up in old movie style

by dropped bits of molten lead.

Safe from wildfires

in our next-door rock quarry

celebrating summer

innocently.


About "Sparklers": As a child, I loved the Fourth of July for all the celebrating and fun, as innocent children will do. But I really viewed it as a celebration of summer. Now, as an adult, I know more about the history of the country I live in, and I choose not to celebrate our independence. I detest the fireworks that sound like gunfire and bombs. This country was built on denying independence to others through slavery, land theft, and capitalism. Truly dealing with that history? Now that would be something to celebrate!


Poem #186, The Capacity to Dream
by Emily Gibson, July 5, 2022

Humans can’t help 
dream in possibilities.
To lust after that which others 
possess or embody.
To consider off-limits territories
like sky and water, 
snow and desert,
and make them 
habitable,
at least for a few, 
for a moment.
Are we the only species that visions
other ways of being?
Can an African Baobab tree
comprehend life 
as a flexible willow or aspen,
and dream to bow
and sway in a breeze?
Would a cranky heron wish
to be content in a school of tuna
flying below the waves,
hundreds moving as one?
Might a whale crave legs
to run across a desert
and feel hot sand between its toes?
Or a cheetah determine to be slow,
to crawl a branch, upside down,
in search of a most delectable leaf?
Perhaps life is richer and deeper
when one’s roots are secure in 
what is, 
not obsessively reaching for what
could be.
Maybe an absence of possibility
could eradicate anxieties of “what if.”
I’ll never know,
for I am human.
This capacity to dream
is our birthright.


About "The Capacity to Dream": This is a companion poem to one from last week, "I Used to be a Teacher." That we can dream of other realities, and stretch ourselves to new capacities is truly a human birthright, and I don't believe any other species on earth does this. Among all the discussions about what makes humans different from other animals, it is, in my opinion, this ability.


Poem #187, Not This One

by Emily Gibson, July 6, 2022














When the orange cat I  

chased away

with sticks and threats

was a wee kitten

it would have engendered a softness

that I reserved for the duckling

that devil cat nearly ate today.

It was just doing what cats do:

programmed to hunt

torment

torture

weak young things.

Ducks have a dozen ducklings

or more, to ensure

plenty to spare,

some make it, some don’t.

But I don't hear the panicked

peep-peep-peep

of all the baby birds

this feral cat takes

to survive.

Just this one,

today.


About "Not This One": In keeping with a theme of nature, nurture, and the ways of different species that has played in many of this week's poems, this poem describes a real incident from the day, when my work at my computer was interrupted by a neighborhood cat's hunt. Understanding that nature will take its course, and standing by to watch are two different things, entirely. Holding the duckling in my hand, feeling its heart beat, I couldn't help but save it.


Poem #188, How Insignificant 

by Emily Gibson, July 7, 2022



I am insignificant, 

that is not news,

merely a single human 

in a long line of humans,

on a single planet.

Oh, how magnificent a planet!

Circling around a grand sun.

Yet our sun is just one star

of many millions in our galaxy.

Oh, such a perfect spiral galaxy!

Sadly, a common, mundane one

among the sea of brilliantly formed galaxies 

like plankton clustered across our universe.

We are so small, 

it is impossible to grasp, unless

we could pull back far enough to see

how common our universe might be,

among a flotilla of other universes?

Scale is everything.

Still, tiny as I am,

I did something only I could do

on this day

on this planet,

in this corner of our galaxy,

hidden in deep space.

Something that mattered more

than all the stars in the universe.

I saved a duckling’s life,

to be free as a duck once more.

In repayment, I received

a lesson in presence.

That duckling likely died 

soon after, from a fellow duck's rejection

or later that night by predator’s jaw.

Yet that swim across a pond,

that delight in fellow ducks,

that insistent peep to belong...

It is the stuff of life.

What could be more significant?


About "How Insignificant": The second poem birthed by the duckling rescue, I wanted to play with the layers of existence, and how on one level, something can be superlative, but looked at from another level, merely common and mundane.


Poem #189, Three Flocks Feed 

by Emily Gibson, July 8, 2022


If not for their colors,

the flickers, jays, and robins

hunting on my lawn

could be birds of the same feather.

They come in waves,

each bird’s cheerful chirrup

brings others of its kind to feast.

First the orange breasted robins

then the flash of blue jays,

later the flickers with side stripes like gills.

Only one species at a time,

perhaps as different meals

come up for grabs.

Maybe they hear a “Ding!”

signaling their order is up?

Stretched tall and slim and still,

eye and ear tuned to ground,

a silent stab

turns grub

or hatched moth

or worm

or beetle

into a meal

for a bird's stomach now,

or hungry hatchlings later.


About "Three Flocks Feed": On this day, I noticed the waves of birds, and how similar their silhouettes were, if not for their differences in plumage. I also noticed that each bird type was hunting specific catch. With this poem, I wanted to document this bit of nature I was able to observe.


And that concludes Sifting the Rubble's poetry for this week! I hope you enjoyed this collection of poems. Perhaps some of them spoke to you, or maybe you found one begging to be shared with someone else.  If so, I hope you will pass it on!  Either way, thank you for listening and reading. Hope to see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem a Day Week 52, Dec 24-30

   Poem a Day, Week 52, Dec 24 to 30, 2022 Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022. ...