Saturday, October 22, 2022

A Poem a Day, Week 42, Oct 15 to Oct 21, 2022

 A Poem a Day, Week 42, Oct 15 to Oct 21, 2022

Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022. I am your host, and poet, Emily Gibson. The poems for the 42nd week of the year, October 15 to 21, all started with poetry prompts from last week's Oregon Poetry Association conference and other sources.  While I miss writing about the things I see in my world, I did enjoy stretching myself to these prompts.   One of the workshops I attended focused on titles and first lines, which has revolutionized the way I approach titles.  

I would be remis if I didn't explain for those new to this podcast that these are 1 or 2 day poems, which have not gone through the grist of revision. That comes later, something I truly look forward to doing. For now, they are new, not quite steady or solid, but each has something to say, so I share them, uncensored. It is part of my challenge.

As always, you can keep track of Sifting the Rubble's posts on the Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram platforms:

Facebook (daily posts) : https://www.facebook.com/BlueheronELG

Twitter https://twitter.com/SiftingThe

Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sifting_the_rubble/

Please like and follow and share in whichever ways suit you. Thank you! :)

And now, for this week's poems!


Listen to Week 42 Poetry Podcast


Poem #288, Arrival

by Emily Gibson, Oct 15, 2022


I waited

It took all my years.

Can’t say I waited patiently

or thoughtfully

or gratefully.

I smiled through the wait,

distracted myself with projects

to consume my hours awake

and tire myself to sleep.

I waited resentfully at times,

with frustration at others.

I may have even railed at the universe

for the wait.

On seven occasions, 

I gave up, threw in the towel,

and thought I stopped the wait.

Yet still I waited.

The wait tested my sanity,

led to self-doubt

and a frantic search through the file cabinet

of my mind

to find that list

of who I am and what,

EXACTLY, I wanted to do in my life.

Instead, I found

that pre-”bucket list” from Psychology

when I was sixteen

and pre- everything…

On that wrinkled sheet of binder paper

I saw my shadow.

I have forgotten more

than I’ll ever know.

Now, with assurance,

after 15 years of the hardest hard

imaginable, 

the wait was worthy.

To see you

see me softly!

To be, finally,

a good human,

reflected in your

equine eyes.



About "Arrival": This poem started with the prompt "The longest time you have waited" It describes my horse, Ber, and the difficult travel we had to find each other. All worth the wait to be able to share in his world now.









Poem #289, Lost and Found 

by Emily Gibson, Oct 16, 2022


Lost does not play well with others.

Though his childhood is long gone,

along with every ember of dreams

his younger self may have had,

he takes great pleasure  when

children can’t find this or that treasure.

He giggled with glee to hear me cry

“What happened to that crystal?”

He fell over from belly laughs to hear me ask,

“I thought I put my model horse on this shelf?”

He wept tears of joy to hear me moan,

“That yellow shirt, gone, was my favorite!”

Lost’s only friend is Found

Who has a mansion with rooms 

for all our things gone missing.

She carefully catalogs each item

with who, what, where, when,

and a well-lit photo for reference.

Her greatest delight? The reunion

of items with loved ones.

Found knows that her work

depends on Lost.

But she no longer invites Lost to visit,

since the night he rearranged

every item in each room of her mansion.

Now Found can’t find a thing.


About "Lost and Found": This originated with a prompt to write about an adult character who doesn't play well with others. I was reminded of another prompt to personify a characteristic or concept (chaos, joy, etc). I came up with the character of Lost and ran with it. 




Poem #290, An Exchange Student from Germany Watches as the U.S. Invades Iraq Under False Pretenses 
by Emily Gibson, Oct 17, 2022

I know my history.

It doesn’t bode well

if thousands put soles

to pavement to pour

anger, fear, and tears

into a chorus of voices,

heard around the globe,

yet their pleas fail,

their calls for peace

and truth

go unheard.

I know my history.

Circumstances 

of unresponsive leadership 

with visions of demagogues

will erode like sand

the land

upon which a nation 

stands.


About "An Exchange Student from Germany Watches as the U.S. Invades Iraq Under False Pretenses ": From a prompt to "think of a confusing, sad, dark time. Take the point of view of an outsider. What do they have to say?" One of the most dark and confusing times of my life is when my country went to war with Iraq, for reasons we knew were false.  Going through this time with my outraged middle school students and watching them see their voices silenced and ignored changed me forever. 



Poem #291, Year 2040: The Scientists Triumph 

by Emily Gibson, Oct 18, 2022


Let us celebrate!

This year, the figurative lead blanket

under which we all cowered

for twenty-odd years

lifted.

The last ton of excess carbon

has been sucked from the atmosphere

turned into bricks

and deposited in a deep region,

a sulfur region,

of the sea.

Let us breathe, 

collectively,

soberly,

a sigh of relief.

Let us honor 

those species no longer 

here.

Let us mourn

island nations drowned

and gone under.

And let us

resolve 

to do better.


About "
Year 2040: The Scientists Triumph ": This poem generated from the prompt, "Think of good or bad news that may happen in the future, and how do you process it, based on your current state of mind?" While I don't hold out much hope, I know there are brilliant minds hard at work trying to save us from our human-made climate crisis. One of those scientists is my partner's daughter who is engaged in research in college on sequestration of carbon. This poem envisions a future where the scientists figure it out and we get another chance.



Poem #292, Mother Nature, At Last, Puts Her Foot Down 

by Emily Gibson, Oct 19, 2022


Twenty-Twenty-Two, the year of unseasonable--

whatever is seasonable, wherever you are. 


After decades of dire predictions and doom and gloom: 

global warming… I mean climate change… make that climate 


catastrophe… or rather climate collapse… some say 

climate snowball… now climate chaos… IT, whatever 


you call it, is finally here. The wait is over. 

To ignore is no option. (Was never an option, 


but that didn’t stop us.) When humans die off, what's left 

of this perfection of a planet’s life will roll on.




About "Mother Nature, At Last, Puts Her Foot Down ": A poem in response to the prompt, "Think of a news item that has preoccupied you for a while. Take the point of view of an optimist or a pessimist." Climate change occupies me the most of anything. I think I took the point of view of both optimist and pessimist, depending on how you look at it! I used the structure of couplets with 13 syllable lines.



Poem #293, No Choice Now

by Emily Gibson, Oct 20, 2022


Forest or shrubbery?

Ocean or lake?

City or country?

Both.  All.

You act like it doesn’t matter,

like we have a choice.

As if we could buy a house

and save for retirement.

Uncertainty in climate chaos

rules our future, without exception.

Did you just mention millionaires

on the moon 

again?

Like there’s always Mars

or even another galaxy to colonize,

since colonialism 

Worked So Well.

But there is nowhere “else.”

Any Sci-Fi dream you babble about

just leads to death,

by degrees or sudden

catastrophe.

Off our home

the only surety 

is an unhappy end.

We are yoked.

Unable to exit,

no stage left or right,

no do-over or plan B.

You and I are yoked,

stuck in a bamboo finger trap--

escape requires movement

toward each other. 

Yoked to Earth

with our invisible umbilical cords.

Can we work together,

or must you insist we die 

from obstinance, 

selfishness,

or both?


About "No Choice Now": This is actually an Ekphrastic poem, answering the Rattle prompt for October. I don't have permission to use the art, but thankfully, the poem works well on its own, too! It also fits well with what has become a theme this week of ecological/climate change poetry! I remember seeing a shirt in the 1990s that said "There is no planet B."  That sentiment remains true thirty years later.



Poem #294, Let it Steep 

by Emily Gibson, Oct 21, 2022


I made some tea.

I needed the moist aroma to wend its way

through my mind, 

to right the moment.


I made some tea.

We lounged under the honeysuckle

to read leaves,

and watch aphids.


I made some tea.

You threatened in muted voice to leave

your hopes buried

and burn your tongue.


I made some tea.

His hands shook denial open in the steady

warmth of the cup’s

watermark on his cheek.


I made some tea.

Her reminder, etched in the stain of every crack

in that stolen cup

I borrowed last week.


I made some tea.

It transferred hot to cold while it waited

for inspiration

after 4 PM.


About "Let it Steep": Just a simple poem, exploring two poetic forms/techniques. I tried a technique called Anaphora, which is the repetition of a phrase. I also played with writing in different voices (I, we, you, he, it, she) used in a poem last week, "Voices, In Love."



And that concludes Sifting the Rubble's poetry for this week! I hope you enjoyed this collection of poems. Perhaps some of them spoke to you, or maybe you found one begging to be shared with someone else. If so, I hope you will pass it on! Either way, thank you for listening and reading. Hope to see you next week with seven new poems!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem a Day Week 52, Dec 24-30

   Poem a Day, Week 52, Dec 24 to 30, 2022 Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022. ...