Saturday, June 4, 2022

A Poem a day, Week 22, May 28 to June 3 2022

 A Poem a Day, Week 22, May 28 to June 3, 2022

Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022.  I am your host, and poet, Emily Gibson.  The poems for the 22nd week of the year, May 28 to June 3, are steeped in my challenge of finding purpose and meaning in work that fits with my sensory limitations from my version of MS, which are likely with me for the near future. There is also a lot going on in the world, which made it into some poems.   There is some darkness, as well as a lot of light this week.

As always, you can keep track of Sifting the Rubble's posts on the Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram platforms:

Facebook (daily posts) https://www.facebook.com/BlueheronELG 

Please like and follow and share in whichever ways suit you.  Thank you! :)

And now, for this week's poems!


Poem #148,  Keep it Simple 
by Emily Gibson, May 28, 2022

“Your purpose is to be a good human being.”  --Marcus Aurelius

Slow down,
talk yourself 
off the ledge,
don’t get upset,
do the right thing.
Take it as it comes,
moment by moment.
Don’t get lost

in the weeds.

It’s that simple.


About "Keep it Simple": I am reading this book, The Daily Stoic which shares a daily meditation on the wisdom of the Greek Stoics.  This day's meditation was about focusing on the most important work of people, to be good human beings.  It was perfectly timed, as I found my stress rising when I contemplated work I could do with my sensory and energy limitations.   When I focus on being a good human being, my energy settles and I believe it will all work out.

Poem #149,  My Proper Human Work

by Emily Gibson, May 29, 2022


Give me work that feeds my soul,

Tests my wits, and makes me whole.

A job that needs to be done

But not just by any ole’ someone.

I wish my hire would be required

For all the skills I’ve acquired.

Perhaps using the beauty of words?

Or knowledge of nature and birds?

Helping people, their purpose to find,

Or realize what is true in their mind…

It’s all well and good to me,

With frequent breaks under a tree.  

Please, make it pass my stress test

So I can do the hours without rest.

And if the pay is good and steady,

Tomorrow I will be ready!

Desire for proper human work, you see,

Is the root of my wholehearted plea.


About "My Proper Human Work": This poem came off of the previous, "Keep it Simple" poem, as I thought more about my proper work. This poem is essentially my love letter to the universe, containing my hopes for finding the "next thing" that will feed my soul, my horse, and me.


Poem #150,   Busyness is not a Virtue

by Emily Gibson, May 30, 2022


Busyness is not a virtue,

my mother often admonished.

Despite her best efforts, 

the world I was born into

inculcated me to DO,

and trapped me

in a forest of shoulds.


Stepping off the carousel

of misguided purpose

takes courage, indeed.

There are no lights

illuminating the way,

no reliable maps,

and any self-promoted 

tour guide is misguided, 

misdirected, or both.


You will stumble,

you will trip, 

your shoulders will shudder

with self-doubt,

your feet will wander in loss.

Just keep asking:

What am I doing?

Why am I doing this?

Where will doing this take me?


If you don’t have an answer

that feels true to you,

Stop.

Listen to the birds.

Remember your song,

the reason you were born.

Then, try again.






About "Busyness is not a Virtue":
The third poem about finding my purpose, this one also has roots in a meditation from The Daily Stoic. The three questions, "What am I doing, Why am I doing it, and Where will it take me?" came directly from the May 30th entry in the book.  I appreciate how my mom's words of wisdom mirrored ancient Greek philosophers!  I well remember my mom trying to influence the choices I made with my time and energy when I was in my 20s and 30s.  Only now, in my 50s, do I truly understand.  I start to feel that my MS was the catalyst for finally stepping off the carousel of our society's shoulds.

Poem #151  Illusions of Normal

by Emily Gibson,   May 31, 2022


There’s no return to normal

Because normal is just illusion

Wrested from disparate events

And the numbness of routine.


There is no return to normal

When you are gifted disease--

For the negation of ease

Shatters all pretense of illusion.


There is no return to normal,

Since normal required distance, 

To push and cajole the body 

In ignorance of its needs. 


There is no return to normal,

Or creation of a new normal,

Except mindfulness, presence,

And being in the moment.






About "Illusions of Normal": The fourth in this week's series on purpose and work, this poem explores the notion of "back to normal." Something that people often say at the end of a long trip, or as a goal after a major disruption in life, like an illness.  Through the process of reflection and work that emerged in my quest for wellness, I came to a new awareness of normal, which I tried to capture with these words.  Being in the moment, accepting what has come with the day, that is my most viable path to contentment and health

Poem #152, Light

by Emily Gibson, June 1, 2022


You think you know the color white

until a freshly snow-capped mountain

pops out against storm-plump black skies.

Okay, that’s white!

But then a brand new calf startles you 

with its pristine face framed in black fur.

Oh, well then, that’s white!

Interesting how the color that 

contains all colors of light

intensifies

when contrasted against the color that

is the absence of any light.   

Yet any individual color against black

Requires illumination of sunlight

to stand out.






About "Light": While moving about my day, I saw our local Cascades, newly coated with snow, set against a backdrop of storm-heavy skies. The line, "You think you know white" came to me.  The last bit about individual colors needing light refers to when I saw some green trees against the same storm sky.  Only the ones in sunbeams stood out, the others disappeared into the gray.  I enjoyed exploring what science tells us about visible light, and how that plays out in real life.


Poem #153, Stuck

by Emily Gibson, June 2, 2022


To be stuck in a world

of worry,

for a horse,

is to be never at

rest,

even when 

standing still.






About "Stuck": While riding my horse, Ber, who is the epitome of calm these days at the age of 19, I watched a horse new to the ranch.  It came in for training with Charley. This horse, also 19, was carrying so much worry, it was beside itself, even when tied.  My heart hurt for this horse.  All horses seek peace, but this one didn't seem to even know that peace was possible.   Hopefully time with Charley will help, as it certainly did for Ber.  

Poem #154,  Pride

by Emily Gibson, June 1, 2022


Pride.

The rainbow shows

all colors as stripes 

of visible light,

teased apart when

bent through a prism, rain, 

or the sheer mist of a waterfall.

Each color adds to the world;

the absence of each 

leaves us a hole of darkness.

So too all the stripes

of our primate species.

Some ask, why focus

attention on our differences?

Doesn’t that divide us?

Aren’t we all really the same?

Differences are made invisible

if we don’t know them,

like a color is unseen

without a name. 

We must filter humanity

through the prism of identity.

Thus, everyone will be 

seen.

Only then will all be safe 

OUT of the prism.


About "Pride": This poem began when I wrote "Light" earlier in the week.  What was on my mind and in my heart was the beginning of Pride month. As an educator, I strive every day to be present for kids, in any way they show up, to help them be who they are. So I wrote this poem as an explanation of my explanation for why the rainbow is a perfect symbol for Pride, with all the colors that are in sunlight mirroring the many identities within humanity.


And that concludes Sifting the Rubble's poetry for this week!  I hope you enjoyed this collection of poems.  Perhaps some of them spoke to you, or maybe you found one begging to be shared with someone else.  Either way, thank you for listening and reading. Hope to see you next week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem a Day Week 52, Dec 24-30

   Poem a Day, Week 52, Dec 24 to 30, 2022 Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022. ...