Friday, April 8, 2022

A Poem a Day, Week 14, April 2 to 8

 A Poem a Day, Week 14, April 2 to April 8, 2022

Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022.  I am your host, and poet, Emily Gibson.  The poems for the 14th week, April 2 to April 8, reflect my travel to see family, two family birthdays, and my transition to a bicycle travel adventure. 

This post marks Sifting the Rubble's return from hiatus while on tour!  Since recording podcasts and writing blog posts was downright impossible from my bicycle with the limited service we had for most of the trip, I have lots of catching up to do!  I also have a travel journal to finish.  It all makes me one very happy writer.   So, here is a blast from the past, these poems from the first week of April!

In addition to this weekly blog, you can keep track of Sifting the Rubble's posts on these platforms:

Facebook (daily posts) https://www.facebook.com/BlueheronELG 

Please like and follow and share in whichever ways suit you.  Thank you! :)

And now, for this week's poems!


Poem #92 Sadness is On Me

by Emily Gibson, April 2, 2022


Rumor has it the Irish language 

communicates feelings as weather.

Unlike English, in which feelings are

identified as states of being.

“I am frustrated” translates to 

“Frustration is on me.”

“I am depressed” becomes 

“Depression is on me.”

“I am happy” turns into 

“Happiness is on me.”


I am not this feeling,

this feeling is settled on me

like fog or sunshine, 

a whipping wind, 

or a chilling frost,

and this too shall pass.

Whether the weather 

is favorable or not,

experience the present,

until a new experience

presents.


About "Sadness is On Me":  I came across this information about language and feelings and had to write about it.  The idea that feelings are like weather also plays in work I do with children to help them understand that whatever is in the present moment is bound to change, if you hang on long enough.  It is similar to a notion I came across in reading widely on personal growth: outside things do not make us feel certain ways. Instead, how we interpret events and the language we use causes our feelings.    The rain doesn't make me sad; I make myself sad thinking about the things I wanted to do.  The person cutting me in line doesn't make me angry; I make myself angry thinking about their actions.  It is a powerful idea that gives us great agency.


Poem #93, Straddling
by Emily Gibson, April 3, 2022

Straddling.

Torn between options

we say are equal,

unable to commit to either.

Internal civil wars

lack direction and purpose,

like sharpening both ends of a pencil,

then lamenting an inability to erase.

Until a single path is forged,

our efforts work 

against ourselves,

this internal pushmi-pullyu

diffusing energy,

stalling forward momentum.

When I know what I want,

I can funnel towards that end,

and to that, my will then bends. 


About "Straddling":  With this poem, I attempted to capture the inner turmoil I feel about work, my health, the upcoming bike tour...    Decisions I make difficult with my indecisiveness.  When I really need to just quiet my mind, breathe, and see what comes next.  It all will be here upon our return in 6 weeks, and I'll figure it out then. Right now, I can't straddle to that time, because this ride is a test of my ability to handle physical stress.  Can I do it?  When I have that answer, I can proceed to the next step!


Poem #94,  Fifty-Seven

by Emily Gibson, April 4, 2022

I have never known a world

in which you didn’t exist. 

Because I entered yours 

when you were two.

Whatever milestone I had to meet

you were already there, already complete.

Walking, talking, eating with spoons,

balancing on logs, finding mushrooms.

Thanks for Supertramp and Queen,

and for riding bicycles and climbing trees.

Cardboard sliding on rock rubble cliffs,

beach excursions in shifting sand drifts.

Inventor, composer, idea generator

builder, photographer, code innovator.

Singular of purpose when direction is found,

yet open to exploration, all around.

Even when my stubbornness resists,

I notice, listen, and ponder your assists.

Glad I am--our parents determined

a sibling you needed, and in I careened.


About "Fifty-Seven": This is my brother Stuart's birthday poem.  I had wanted to write to this photo since I first saw it recently in a photo collection my dad sent me.   The absolute delight and mischievousness on our faces, coupled with the serious look on our dad's face intrigued me.   I'll write to it another time, to explore it more.  This time though, I wanted to capture the difference between my brother, who lived in a world without me for a short time, and I, who has always lived in a world with an older brother in it.  


Poem #95,  Confusing
by Emily Gibson, April 5, 2022


It is confusing.

The horror in Ukraine

receives rightly deserved attention,

yet other horrors equally severe

and longer running by many a year

disappear after cursory coverage.

In Yemen, Syria, Iraq,

other countries inflicted terror

on citizens, including children.

I guess the perpetrators of those violences

and the families on the receiving ends,

are just the wrong people

undeserving of any prolonged uprising of anger,

or overwhelming condemnation.

Where was the seizing of US Oligarch assets

when that country bombed Iraq to pieces,

and made even more sand in Afghanistan?

If the people being killed aren’t white,

And their devastated country

is powerless on the world stage,

UN and NATO lift limp hands in protest 

and silence any unrest.  

Seeing Ukraine covered as it should

could lift the veil of past ignorance.

It could.

About "Confusing": This is another poem about the war Russia continues to rage against Ukraine.  In this poem, I worked at the facts of race and ethnicity, power and money, and how they influence actions on the world stage. We are all human, but we are not experiencing the same world.  


Poem #96  House of Girard
by Emily Gibson, April 6, 2022

Here’s to the House of Girard

Of Georgia, by way of Boston.

Where everyone is welcome

And high spirits flow often.

It’s a gaming house,

Seriously, no cheating.

It’s a gourmand’s house,

From-scratch meals for eating.

Don’t worry about diets,

You’ll always be full.

In summer the heat

Can be beat in the pool.

Sharpen your Jeopardy chops,

Practice your Bocce.

There’s a Wordle and Sudoku

Every morning with coffee.

Now the crown is Cribbage, 

Play it with reverence.

Though Rie’s always winning...

Can it be a coincidence?

Scrabble and Rummikub,

Bananagrams and Seven…

The House of Girard,

A little slice of heaven.


About "House of Girard":  This is a poem about the lovely family I happened into when I met Jay.  It is such a joy to spend time in another family that also loves playing games and cooking good food and just enjoys being together.  I am so very lucky!



Poem #97 Ber Sheds his Winter Coat
April 7, 2022 by Emily Gibson

As if snow was brown,
Drifts lay on the ground.
His winter coat
Leaves him free,
Must feel wonderful.
He stands still,
Stretches muscle and skin
Into the curry
To amplify  and accentuate,
Extend the pleasure.
Later, in the grocery store,
My once-red fleece vest,
now a rusty, fuzzy brown,
reflects in a freezer door.

About "Ber Sheds his Winter Coat":  Each year it happens, my horse Ber drops piles of long hair everywhere he goes. Each year I forget about the magnetic attraction of hair to fleece. I doubt I will ever get his hair out of my red vest.  


Poem #98,   77th Birthday
April 8, 2022, by Emily Gibson


An arbor of golden nasturtiums
Twining through a vine maple,
Green in its spring.
A skirt in satin squares,
Colors soft and shiny,
Sewn on the Singer,
On a break from quilt pieces.
Yards of fabric in this skirt,
Vision of your dreams,
Swirling around your
Ankles in silky whispers.
Guessing you wore your "dress"
Red Wing work boots underneath.
The pleasure of this skirt,
In this setting, with your
Beloved vine maple,
Lights your face.
Not a thought
To what anyone else
Might possibly think.
Another beautiful lesson.

About "77th Birthday":  This poem is for my mom's 77th birthday.  My brother sent me this photo for inspiration. I well remember the skirt, the dream, and the joy.  The older I get, the more I appreciate the lessons she taught by living her life, and the more I wish she was still here on this side of life.


That concludes the poems for this week!  I hope you enjoyed some of them for yourself or maybe found one you want to share with someone else.  Thank you for listening and reading. Hope to see you next week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem a Day Week 52, Dec 24-30

   Poem a Day, Week 52, Dec 24 to 30, 2022 Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022. ...