Saturday, March 19, 2022

A Poem a Day, Week 11, March 12-18, 2022

  A Poem a Day, Week 11: March 12 to 18, 2022

Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022.  I am your host, and poet, Emily Gibson.  The poems for the 11th week, Mar 12-18, were heavily influenced by my 6-week bicycle tour coming up in a few short weeks.    My partner and I are traveling the Pacific Coast route, from Bellingham, WA, to Santa Barbara, CA, in April and May.  As my training has ramped up, the significance of where I am now, compared to a year ago, has been a topic of rumination while pedaling the miles.   

This week, I completed massive revisions for three of my longest poems, which I sent away into the ether to a poetry contest.   It is incredible to see how the final drafts emerge--understanding that the word final is used lightly here, because every time I look at them, I think of other tweaks!  I think I will do a blog post of just these 3 poems, with the first draft, and the final draft I sent away, for anyone who wants to see what happened with the poems! Now I am working on 6 poems for a call for submissions to a literary magazine.   So much fun!!    

In other news, Sifting the Rubble is now on Instagram!   So, if Instagram is your social media of choice, you can follow here:  Emily Gibson (@blueheronms) • Instagram photos and videos 

And now, for this week's poems!


Poem #71  Study in Lenticular

by Emily Gibson, Mar 12, 2022

This afternoon, a master class displayed

in our sky to the west.

Apprentice cloud makers

practicing the art of lenticulars;

a study in gradients of white and gray on blue.

Layers of hillocks smooth enough to ski;

Pillows of down on beds of down comforters

covered in crisp cotton duvets;

Dollops of whipped cream in smooth 

ceramic white diner mugs;

Merengue in heaps and lofty peaks, 

waiting to bake;

Swaths of white table cloth dotted with multi-sized

dinner mints and butter mints,

bellies of white darkening to gray 

at the edges.

Oval dinner rolls ready to brown in the oven;

And Chinese dumplings of rice flour dough

holding pockets of some mystery.

I don’t envy the judges in choosing the best,

We can only hope a runoff match is next.


About "Study in Lenticular": I composed this poem in my mind while out with my horse, Ber, at the ranch where he lives. It was just as described here, a stunning display of lenticular clouds. Often, the photos of lenticulars are of the amazing and rare instances of them stacking up around a mountain peak. I like when they fill the sky like they did on this day, like herds of smooth, oval sheep.



Poem #72 Steel Blues

by Emily Gibson, Mar 13 2022


Riding homeward,

wheels spinning,

grateful for this tailwind,

a relief, a change

from 20 miles of bitter 

cold pushing me back.

Over home, in the distance,

a wall of layered steel blues waits,

thick, 

full of rain 

or hail 

or even snow,

Portent, ominous.

Will it stand by?

Will it hold back?

No matter, 

only one way 

through.

Pedal.


About "Steel Blues": Cycling is such a great opportunity for observing the world, and thinking on those observations. This was a hard ride out against a head wind, with some rain and snow pelting me as I first left home. So I had hoped for a fun ride back, but it was equally hard. The wind had shifted a bit, so it was a side wind for most of my return. But I was able to watch these layers of cold steel blue and gray line up above Bend, and ponder what it would be like when I was under them. Turns out, they were further east, and it was just cold when I got home!


Poem #73 Cue the Tumbleweeds

by Emily Gibson, Mar 14, 2022


Up ahead, 

I think there’s a missed opportunity

for a Tumbleweed crossing sign.

Perfect nexus of crossroad, 

western born wind,

and high desert flat lands

punctuated by individual junipers.

Gusts permeate, sandblasting

the landscape, herding

unfocused tumbleweeds

over blockades 

of ditches,

tree trunks,

and occasional boulders,

until they find the road,

where they roll with glee,

free.

Only to catch on a bush or shrub

on the other side,

waiting for the next wall of wind.


Growing up, we watched old Westerns

on our black & white television

with questionable reception.

My mom would holler

“Cue the tumbleweeds”

when they rolled across camera.

Same for chickens, cows, and 

wayward toddlers,

anything that crossed the path

of the characters on screen,

perfectly timed, 

as if by divine intervention.

Like an inside joke, we knew

it was the wranglers and grips.

But sometimes,

when my life is perfectly unfolding

I laugh, and wonder who 

is cuing the tumbleweeds. 


About "Cue the Tumbleweeds": This is one of my favorite poems from this week. For the memory it engendered of watching our little TV, and how my mom loved to lift the veil of movies, like how the Wizard was exposed in The Wizard of Oz (Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!). I tried to capture, in this poem, the glee that was embodied by these tumbleweeds as they flew across the road, and their nearly audible "Oh rats!" as they caught again on some blockage.

Poem #74 Corner of the Eye

by Emily Gibson, Mar 15, 2022


In the sand, under a sagebrush,

beyond the barbed wire,

they catch my eye as I pedal past,

scattered like a super-sized 

set of Jacks:

six white vertebrae,

bovine in nature,

bleached from sun and wind.

No wonder the game was abandoned.

Balls won’t bounce

without hard ground.


About "Corner of the Eye": Another poem gleaned from cycling. As I ride along, things catch the corner of my eye. Sometimes I stop, like when I saw something round on the pavement and I thought it might be some cyclist's compass from their handlebar stem. I've always wanted one of those! It turned out to just be a bottle cap. I didn't stop for these bones, but I enjoyed thinking about them for a few miles.



Poem #75 Stained Glass Moment

by Emily Gibson, Mar 16, 2022


A cow thuds to the ground,

soft dry manure 

cushions

her bony hips,

scars etch her neck

from some mishap survived.

Something begs me 

"Look closer."

I see sun

shooting through 

a protruding placenta

glowing red from within

and a calf’s tiny head

in silhouette.


15 miles later,

on my return, 

cow back on her feet,

back with the herd,

her mini me, without scars,

attempting to stay on its feet

not yet hardwired 

to its brain.

The cow massages and dries her calf,

like a spa attendant, 

slapping her 50-pound tongue

on whatever bit of calf is nearest.

I sense her urgency 

in the cold evening

and her calf’s “Mooooooom” 

as it tries 

to stand upright

to nurse.


About "Stained Glass Moment": This poem began with seeing the sun's light through the placenta, and how it looked red like stained glass. When I returned, and found the newborn calf and the mama cow, I thought about how often stained glass was used to capture biblical moments. All life has great reverence, so the title of this poem was born, and eventually the poem. I still laugh, thinking about the cow's singular mind (must get you dry!) and the calf's struggle to stay upright and get the nutrition it needed to get stronger.



Poem #76 Unwieldy Weight

by Emily Gibson, Mar 17, 2022


The first time I straddled my loaded touring bike,

A monstrosity of unwieldy weight

With a mind of its own,

And attempted to pedal 

Almost 5 years ago,

I cried

Tears of fear, overwhelm,

I’d bitten off more than I could handle.

The first hill?

Had to get off and push,

Hot tears of shame brimming.


This time, over 8,000 miles later,

My bike loaded for bear for another tour

I swung my leg over

And pushed off.

The tears flowed.

Gratitude, triumph

An unshakable understanding

That I can handle it,

No matter 

What it takes to get up

The next hill.


About "Unwieldy Weight": This week I loaded my bicycle up, so I could start training with the added weight for a few weeks before the upcoming trip. After everything I have worked with over the past year, the lifequakes, and sifting the rubble to find what is next, I just feel really happy to be in this moment. This time last year, the debilitating fatigue hit, yet I kept on training for our bike ride planned for July and August 2021. Eventually, the cascade of symptoms was named (MS), and I accepted the reality that I would not be riding on tour that summer. It was the second cancelation--the prior summer we put off the trip due to Covid, but I rode over 3,000 miles on my bike (unloaded) around my home in Bend. As I pedaled off the first time this week, fully loaded, I was overwhelmed, but in a good way. And I thought about that first trip we took in the Palouse region of SE Washington and that first little hill I struggled up. We've come a long way, and not just in miles!


Poem #77 Triumph

by Emily Gibson, Mar 18, 2022


2,000 miles lie ahead,

Many rain slick or gritty

Narrow, rough, or congested.

Every mile will be measured 

By pedal strokes one after 

Another, steady and strong

Like a metronome’s cadence.

After the year past’s hurdles,

Challenges, tears and struggles,

Riding is celebration.

Every chain revolution

Turns the tide toward triumph.



About "Triumph": This poem is a companion poem to #76. What cycling in general, and going on tour more specifically, means to me is freedom. There is nothing, in my experience, like heading off with everything you own in your bike bags, ready to tackle whatever comes next. I don't know how this trip will go, I don't know how many miles we will cover, or how I will feel from day to day. I do know we'll be able to handle whatever comes. It will be a triumph, no matter the outcome!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem a Day Week 52, Dec 24-30

   Poem a Day, Week 52, Dec 24 to 30, 2022 Welcome to Sifting the Rubble's weekly blog and podcast of my poem-a-day challenge for 2022. ...